Thursday, July 17, 2008

Week 7: Back on the Vineyard/NYC Round II

I'm posting back-to-back entries because I was delayed in updating about my trip to London due in part to the mass amounts chaos and tomfoolery that took place while at Heathrow. So now I'm back on track, and sadly this week was far more tame and not nearly as interesting as last week, but I couldn't deny my devoted readers (ha!) an update.

I flew Mama and Papa G up for the weekend for a short vacation on the island as part of their Mother's Day/Father's Day/birthday gifts (all 4 of these holidays fall within a 4 week period). I was thrilled to have them up to the Vineyard, however, I missed half of their trip because I was stranded on the other side of the Atlantic. The one day that we did have together was spent driving from one end of the island to the other, showing my parents all of the great sights and amenities that the Vineyard offers vacationers. We had great weather, so we spent most of the day outside on the beach and walking along the harbor. We grabbed lunch in Aquinnah on top of the cliffs, ice cream in Oak Bluffs, and dinner at the Newes in Edgartown (my favorite restaurant). I enjoyed showing off the famed Gingerbread houses in OB, and we stopped into Murray's Toggery Shop in Edgartown to buy my Nantucket Reds, only to find out that I've since moved up a pant size since the last time I was in the store (great), and the correct size had to be shipped from Nantucket. If you don't know what Nantucket Reds are, either ask Kevin Ewalt or direct yourself to this site: http://www.nantucketreds.com/.

Mom and Dad left the following Monday, I worked 12 hours on Tuesday, and Wednesday (yesterday), I was off again to NYC to catch a live taping of Late Night with Conan O'Brien. I called up Brendan Wright (who is working in NYC this summer and staying in the NYU dorms) earlier in the week to see if he'd be interested in joining me, and the two of us spent yesterday afternoon at 30 Rockafeller Center being entertained by Conan, Seth Green, Russell Brand (the English rocker from Forgetting Sarah Marshall), and Eugene Merman (a comedian from Flight of the Conchords). The show was hilarious. The episode aired last night and will be posted on http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/video/episodes.shtml by tomorrow. Russell Brand was a riot. We laughed during the entire interview. I would seriously fly into New York three times a week to watch the show if NBC would let me request tickets more than once every six months.

Brendan and I killed a few hours shopping on 5th, grabbed dinner at Goodburger (yum), and spent the rest of the evening recooping from our exhausting day in front of the TV (it was the season premiere of Project Runway Season 5 so naturally I had to watch it), and yes, we also watched Conan. This morning we woke up at 5:30, rented a ZipCar (which, I might add, is the greatest concept ever: http://www.zipcar.com/) to drive to LaGuardia, and now I'm back on the Vineyard for another full day of work. My life is fun.

I leave Sunday to return to Georgia to join my former Lassiter HS softball coach as we chaperone American Heritage Academy's annual week long cross country camp on St. Simons Island. Upon my return I'll have about one more week left of work at the airport. I can't believe summer is almost over. I start my assistantship at FSU on August 8th, so keep your fingers crossed that the US Airways operation at the Tallahassee Airport agrees to hire me because after a summer of nonstop travel the thought of losing my flight benefits is pretty disheartening...

No comments: