Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Week 5: Athens, Atlanta

Chipper Jones
Coca-Cola at Turner Field
Braves tailgate
At home in the backyard. The folks re-landscaped. Again.
I just returned to a stormy vineyard after enjoying three great days of 90+ degree weather in Athens/Atlanta. The start of my return home seemed like a day of endless travel. I worked from 6-2, loaded bags onto the jet headed for Washington, boarded the plane, and had about a20 second connection time (not kidding) between my MVY-DCA and DCA-ATL flight that involved having the US Airways gate drive me in a shuttle bus to board my jet which had already sealed the passenger door. I was very VERY lucky.

Upon landing in ATL, I spent a few hours catching up with the parents and reuniting with the family dog before shipping out once again for Athens. I met up with the crew downtown, cracked open a long-awaited Sweetwater, and spent the remainder of my evening soaking the sights and sounds of the city that I now consider more of a home than Atlanta. I stopped by the Visitors Center the following morning and caught up with everyone there before staking out a spot at the River Club pool. As luck would have it, River Club was serving complimentary Chic-Fil-A, which, I can assure you, has been sincerely missed whilst residing in New England. In two hours at the pool, I tanned more than the entire time I've been on the island. After being away from the South for so long, I'd forgotten what 90 degree weather +humidity feels like, but the sunburn souvenir will serve as a reminder for the next few days...

Although my trip to Athens was short, I was thrilled to be able to reconnect with everyone. I had a chance to spend time with friends that I hadn't seen in months. I'll be lucky if I get to see some of them again during football season. I also walked under the Arch for the first time (finally!) and got my summer fix of Mama's Boy, one of my two Athens restaurant staples (Peaches being the other).

Once back in Marietta, I requested a favor from the family hairstylist(aka my mom), and I am now a blonde again. After we grilled out, I made a quick stop into La Strada to say hello to my former coworkers. After working there for 7 years, I'm not entirely sure that I'll ever be able to successfully sever the ties to that restaurant, despite numerous efforts. It really is like a vortex.
My 4th of July started in the traditional fashion: 5AM wake up time, board the nearest MARTA train, and meet up with my running buddies to participate in the world's largest 10K, the Peachtree Road Race. I absolutely love the Peachtree. It's definitely not a typical roadrace, but it is such a fun Atlanta tradition. I love the crowds, I love the spirit--being surrounded by 50,000 people that love Atlanta and love running. It's the greatest concept ever. I wasn't crazy about the alterations to the race course (the finish is on an uphill!!! It was cruel!), but I was so glad that I came back to run. It's also a giant LHS Cross Country reunion, and I love being able to cross paths with former teammates and find out how the current team is doing. And because Papa G is an employee of Coca-Cola, I was able to hit up their hospitality tent after the race and help myself to a delicious breakfast and more Powerade than I could carry.

After the race I came back to the house and got ready to once again board MARTA to go to the Braves game, my other favorite 4th of July tradition. Taylor and I took MARTA and met up with the Athens entourage to tailgate before the game, and we had all individually taken it upon ourselves to prepare food for the tailgate, so we had an abundance of snacks ranging from mulberry pie to lemon bars to bratwursts to red, white, and blue cupcakes. Any physical benefit from running a 10k that morning was immediately negated. With the exception of DEMOTING JEFF FRANCOEUR, the game was awesome. 6-2 Braves, with a celebratory fireworks show to the tune of All-American power ballads to round out the holiday.

After visiting some other big cities this summer, I was starting to wonder how my feelings toward Atlanta stacked up against NYC/DC/etc.,but spending the 4th of July in Atlanta totally re-instilled my love for it. Visiting home was wonderful. I was so grateful to see all my friends one more time before we all move. Tonight (actually in 1 hour) we are boarding a plane to London!! Cheers!

1 comment:

Jill May said...

That is a really good picture of everyone! Caitlin's sp? dress is really cute!