Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Ditch (Grand Canyon Rafting Trip) Part 6

4/1 Palisades Creek (66.1) to Lower Cremation (87)


Morning views of the river from Palisades Creek Camp
Photo credit: Avery Higgins-Lopez


Morning views of the river from Palisades Creek Camp
Photo credit: Cory Inman


View of camp
Photo credit: Cory Inman


View of camp
Photo credit: Cory Inman

Today was a good day on the river that ended with a hefty dose of humble pie. We had a bunch of rapids: Tanner, Basalt, Unkar, Nevill's...and Hance. And then several after Hance, but I want to stop and pause at Hance (77.1).

It's hard to remember exactly how I/we were all feeling pre- and post-Hance, but I do remember that this was the first rapid that I was pretty gripped about before we ran it. So I'll include Dune's Litany Against Fear (looking at you, Brad) for good measure:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain." - Dune (Frank Herbert)

I remember the scout taking a while. Hance is the first 8 (reminder, scale of 1-10 in difficulty) we encountered on the river. It is long and it is one of the more technical rapids. I'd rather generate my own content, but I'm using this as a placeholder for now: Running Hance Rapid (source: gorafting)


View of Hance Rapid from river right scout
Photo credit: Chris Inman


Doug pointing out obstacles on Hance
Photo credit: Chris Inman


Happy faces after completing Hance
Photo credit: Chris Inman

I think (?) this rapid required our boat operators to back pull through the first portion of the rapid, which meant that each boat needed a spotter in the bow pointing out the correct angle for the boat since the rower wasn't able to see downriver. Several rocks to dodge (called "The Land of Giants") and I think this rapid required a righthand entry with a hard pull to the left. I had to fact check my memory with a teammate, but 3 of 4 boats took inadvertently took a hero line through this rapid (read: through the Land of Giants) despite lots of discussion and planning.

That said, all boats and boaters made it out in one piece. But no rest after Hance. Immediately following Hance, we had Sockdolager Rapid (6), Grapevine Rapid (6), a few minor rapids, oh yeah, and 83 Mile Rapid (3).

You might be wondering, "Kellie, why bother pointing out a Class 3 rapid?" Well, because sometimes a Class 3 will wreck your afternoon. You probably see where this is going.

At this point, we'd been on the river for almost a week, so lots of time for new rowers (myself included) to get time behind the oars. And it was really fun to watch rowers progress in their skill, competence, and confidence, as it pertained to reading whitewater and actually rowing rapids.

A new rower asked to row 83 Mile Rapid. Those of us in the boat felt very comfortable with this rower handling the rapid. And sometimes, you get hit with a big ass wave and get dumped. We got dumped. And it was real, REAL cold. The rower got the other swimmer in the boat pretty early, but I ended up swimming most of the rapid. Was probably in the water for a few minutes. Avery (our rescue boater in the kayak) came to my rescue. Thanks, Avery! We only had a few miles to make it to camp, but those were the coldest miles of. my. life. After shivering violently for a few minutes (which is a good thing--the problem is when you STOP shivering...) I asked if I could row to warm my body back up, so I cranked very, very hard on the oars into the wind for 15-20 minutes trying to haul ass to camp so that we could...better our situation.

We made it to Lower Cremation camp, which was the *must stop at this camp* to get Rio set-up for his hike out the following day. Unfortunately, the camp was already occupied by two other groups, but fortunately, these groups were AWESOME and so, so kind. They not only shared the camp, but they shared beverages, advice, support, etc. We ended up passing and/or camping with these groups several more times down the river, and they were truly a delight with every interaction. Goose (river name), one of the leaders of one of the groups, definitely felt like a river mentor to us by the end of the trip.

I do remember Lower Cremation camp pretty vividly. Amazing how a cold swim will heighten your senses. The camp was set into a rocky hill, and because it was pretty crowded, it meant that finding good Groover and tent sites was...challenging...as we were the last of the three crews to arrive.


View of Lower Cremation Camp
Photo credit: Cory Inman

View of Lower Cremation Camp
Photo credit: Cory Inman

Dinner: Frozen Lasagna with Garlic Bread

No comments: