Monday, May 23, 2016

UGA Costa Rica - Day 1

It's been four years since I've posted anything on this site because it's been four years since I traveled abroad. The last time I traveled abroad was to Costa Rica so it seems fitting that I would dust off the ol' blog by returning to Costa Rica. Also, I need to travel abroad more.

The last time I was in Costa Rica, I was part of the FSU Beyond Borders program. For the most part, we were based out of Turrialba and Guapiles. You can read all about it in the last 12-13 posts.

Fast forward four years, and I'm here now with UGA Geology/Outdoor Recreation. I am incredibly lucky and thankful that I've been able to serve in two positions have afforded me the opportunity to teach abroad--I am really, really lucky.

This Maymester, I am the instructor of record for PEDB 1090 (Outdoor Recreation), so students get 1 hour of PE credit while they're here. We'll do a variety of outdoor activities, including snorkeling, kayaking, rafting, hiking, yoga, etc. Tough life, I know. This very tiny map shows where I was at with FSU (red circles) versus where I am now (green circles). We'll do some travel in-country over the next two weeks, but I'll discuss that when the time comes.




I'll keep tonight's post short and sweet because today was mostly a travel day. We flew into San Jose and had a 3-hour van ride to San Luis de Monteverde. The UGA campus is so beautiful. I can't wait to set my hammock up tomorrow. The campus is nestled in the Tilaran mountains and backs up to the cloud forest. 

We got settled in, ate dinner in the main campus dining hall, had a short orientation, and concluded the evening with an hour-long documentary about the local flora and fauna of the Monteverde region. I learned all about the Three-Wattled Bellbird. You should, too. The TWB is known for its very distinct call; it sounds like a loud "BONK!"

Okay, here are a few pictures to sum up the evening. Until next time!










No comments: