Monday, May 14, 2012

Costa Rica Day 11 - Rest Day / El Clon

Today, the students spent the day with their host families, which meant that Natalie and I had a day to ourselves. With me being so sick yesterday, this day couldn't have come at a better time. I was still pretty sick through most of the afternoon today, so I laid really low until about 2PM when Natalie and I went to lunch.

My primary motivation for this post is so that I can remember this restaurant when I come back to Costa Rica next year. The restaurant's name is el Clon, and it's about 10 miles out of Turrialba to the west. 

Interesting note about Costa Rican addresses---there aren't any. Seriously. Residences don't have numeric street addresses. Most streets don't even have names. The "addresses" we got for our students' host families were like "go to this neighborhood, look for a green house, turn left, go 150 meters, look for the first house with a slate wall". You think I'm making this up...

(Again, the map is for my benefit!)

We braved the bus system to reach the restaurant--it reminded me a lot of the Jamaican jerk shacks that we'd stop at on our way between Kingston and Ocho Rios. Lots of chicken and pork being smoked on a giant outdoor rotisserie. I still wasn't feeling awesome and actually got sick AT the restaurant (fantastic...), but that didn't stop me from putting away a great steak, oreo milkshake, and cheesecake. Judge me if you want, but I've eaten extremely well all trip, and I hadn't eaten anything all day and food rules go out the window when you're sick!






We were planning on cabbing it back to Turrialba but the owner of the restaurant forced asked one of his employees to drive us home--very nice of both of them!

Other than the delicious lunch, I pretty much laid in bed all day working on homework and finishing Game of Thrones. Okay, this is the last of the nonsense posts. Tomorrow we are visiting a milk factory in the morning and I'm sure I'll have plenty to say on that!

No comments: